Monday, February 25, 2008

Winter in Vermont. Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow!

Alright, back to lighter fare. One of my (supposed) friends from the southern United States asked me if we had much snow this winter. I’m not sure (it’s always difficult to discern sarcasm in an email) if he was being facetious or not, but thought I’d go snap a couple pictures of what it look like outside and share them with everyone. These were all taken a couple of days ago. And we’re no where near done yet. A winter storm warning has just been posted to Tuesday-Wednesday, expecting another 10-15 inches. Hooray!




Here’s the front of the house. You almost can’t see out the kitchen windows.



This is the north side of the house. The snow is over four feet deep here. For reference, our camping trailer (under the green tarp) is 11 feet tall.


I have to keep finding the mailbox after the plow goes through. Even on the road the snow is a foot deep.



The old chicken coop. We use it as a storage shed. Glad I don’t need anything in there right now.



The front door. We don’t actually use it, but the fill pipe for the oil tank is against the house to the right of the door, so I have to keep it clear.


Well, you get the idea. It had been a very snowy winter. And we’re no where near done. Some years March is our snowiest month. Yippee!

One more picture before I go. The last few weeks we’ve had an owl hanging around. He comes at dusk and stays a couple of hours each night. He has seriously reduced the squirrel/chipmunk/mole population. He has been as close as sitting on the pole which holds the birdfeeder, less than 2 feet from the front porch. He’s hard to get a picture of, but Friday night I caught him. It’s not a great picture, but the best I could do.



More soon!

jim

1 comment: