Tuesday, December 5, 2017

Thoughts on Departing My Call with the Vermont Conference, UCC

Friends, I wrote this article for the weekly e-newsletter of the Vermont Conference during my last week there. My call ended on September 30, 2017, and I began a new call as the Pastor of Atkinson Congregational Church in Atkinson NH on October 15, 2017.

Well, here it is, friends, my last e-kit article. It's ok, you can cheer, I can't hear you!

When I began at the Vermont Conference more than 13 years ago, my then position description contained lots of things I was supposed to do - and that list barely overlaps with my current call agreement. It's amazing to me how my position has evolved over the years. As I reminisce a bit, however, the evolution makes sense.

When I went to interview for the position of Conference Administrator (thanks Pam!) I entered a room with no less than 15 people assembled to conduct the interview. Well, isn't this interesting, I thought. I learned something about how the staff (there were 10 of us then!)  and the  leadership communicated and understood trust. It was a fun interview for me - I had no plans to accept the position, and thus felt rather, umm, unrestrained in my responses. I'll be darned if that didn't seem to play well.

Here are some of the things that weren't in my original position description: Stewardship, Church Growth, Church Vitality, Governance, preaching in churches, and leadership retreats. How they came to be part of my work can be attributed to a single word: covenant.

I made it my mission to raise up the bond between local church and wider church. If the local church didn't see any 'value added' in a relationship with the Conference, why have one? We were well past the time when the Conference and national setting of the church could 'expect' financial support because 'it was the right thing to do' or out of some sense of obligation. I thought (and continue to think) we need to earn it. So when a local church asked for help with Stewardship, I worked to become well versed enough on the subject to share something with others. As an old mentor of mine once said, "If you think you know a subject well, try teaching it to others. That'll tell you something."  I found churches hungry for help, and saw that an in-person visit with a local church giving assistance was the quickest route to improved relationship and covenant.

As time passed other skill sets evolved, eventually working their way into my actual position description. I owe a debt of gratitude to leadership that was willing to indulge my extracurricular activities and embrace them as part of my portfolio when it was found to be something our churches needed and fit the mission of the Conference.

Forgive me for what, as I read it, sounds a bit self-indulgent. The point I'm trying to make is this: In a time when churches as a whole have become more insular, the wider church needs to ensure that its efforts provide something the local church actually wants and needs. Mutual covenant and support grows from a symbiotic relationship in which each side contributes and benefits. The current buzz word is inter-dependence, which I guess is fine, but I think covenantal still works well too.

A few years ago Carole Carlson and I developed and taught a UCC polity course which focused on polity from the local church's perspective - and the tug of war between autonomy and covenant. Our churches tend to be more familiar with the autonomy part ("You're not the boss of me!") than they are the covenant aspect. But from the very beginning the mostly unchecked power of the local church inherent in congregational polity was balanced by an understanding of mutual support, relationship, and responsibility with other churches and a wider structure. That relationship needs to be continually exercised to remain strong and vital.

My friends, let me leave you with this thought. Local churches - nurture your relationship with your association, conference, and the United Church of Christ. There are things we can do together that no church can do alone, and skill sets you require that won't be available in-house. And my dear Vermont Conference, always be listening, always be responsive, always seek to provide the churches what they need - free of the institutional quicksand that can make you slow to grasp and evolve.

Many of you have reached out to me with a personal note. I have, alas, not been able to respond to them all. Please know that I cherished each of them. It's been a wonderful 13 years. Thank you all for your love, encouragement and support. I return to the local church from whence I came, answering a call to return to parish ministry. But a piece of my heart will always remain with you.

Peace,

Jim

No comments:

Post a Comment